Monday, September 16, 2013

Mastectomy




Not too long ago I created this pen & ink titled, "Mastectomy" and posted it to my "art page" on Facebook. While the overall response was well received, I also got several less than flattering comments and downright nasty private messages condemning me for using Cancer as a reason to paint a naked woman to further my career as an artist.

*sigh*

 Nothing could be further from the truth and here's the story of why I created this piece...

She's 38 years old, divorced and a single mother of two children. The cancer came quickly! The overall time span from diagnosis to mastectomy was less than three months. 

When I heard the news, I went to visit. I offered my sympathy and told her how sorry I was that she was going through all this. Her reply? 

"Don't be sorry. So I lost a tit, big deal. I still have my life and my kids have their Mom. Bras can be padded and yeah I'm so bald we could be twins but I can wear a wig and I suppose you could to but you'd just look stupid, so don't be sorry, be happy I'm still alive."

And I am happy she's alive! Her attitude, determination (and smart ass comment about my own lack of hair) made me realize that I fret too much about the little things and she inspired me to create a work of art that shows her strength, her power, her absolute refusal to allow anything (even Cancer) to take away her happiness.

So...For those who still think I created this to further my career, you should know that yes, I do have the original for sale and I am offering limited edition prints reproduced on fine linen rag paper. It's what I do, I'm an artist trying to earn a living and I make no apologies for that.
.

No comments: